Saturday, July 9, 2022

Track 17: The Next Exit


My search through old cassettes unearthed a couple of goodies, and along with those, I added newer tunes for this demo, which was recorded in August of 2009. Other songs from this collection can be found on other pages - Tracfone - as well as The Night This Town Died, and Lifeblood (both of which are heard on Embryo 1980)

Note: This was collected in album form, so all you need do is hit play and it will go through the entire CD, or use the bar at the side to scroll down and click on an individual tune to hear it.

 
Where You Goin' Raggedy Andy?
Written on August 1, 2009

Musically it was inspired by the Everly Brother's "Bye Bye Love" - I wanted to try that kind of guitar strum, and while testing it out I improvised a few odd lyrics, which I restructured and folded into the final mix. 

I read an interview with Keith Richards where he spoke about how he wrote lyrics, how he'd leave out parts of the story, and remove every other line, creating a sense of obscure poetry. I attempted that here and elsewhere on the disc, and it was an interesting experiment. 

BTW - the title on the sheet music was "Raggedy Andy", but on the CD it was "Raggedy Ann" - I've used them both, and you can call it whatever you prefer. 

Lyrics
And I'm here by the wayside when you're glowing
I am just a dog chasing its own tail
It's all right to be dying if you know the path you're trying, is where you're going
It's all right to be needy, if you got nothing it's not greedy
To want what you spent a lifetime searching for

And I'm here by the fireside where your glowing
I am just a dog who's found a place to rest
It's all right to be fearin', when everything your hearing, takes all your best
It's all right to be content when you know she's heaven-sent
Ah, an angel in disguise, the devil's right before your eyes

Where you goin' raggedy Andy, where you goin'
Where you goin' raggedy Ann, when your gone
Where you goin' raggedy Andy, where you goin'
Where you goin' raggedy Ann, when your gone


Misery
Originally written in 2007, rewrites were done on August 2, 2009

I found this while combing through tapes, the melody was slow but held some interest, the words however were riddled with cliches, so while I kept the title (used like a name, but actually reflecting her state of mind), I rewrote the rest (using the Richard's method, which obscures the connection between the first and 3rd verses, with the second). 

Inspiration came from two sources - one was John Sandford's novel "Heat Wave" in which the protagonist is in bed with a gal, and he makes the statement that women don't know how beautiful they are, not really / and a moment in my life when a woman was pointing out her physical flaws, and I'm trying to tell her that's all nonsense, that she's beautiful, but she thought I was feeding her a line.... she didn't understand and I couldn't explain it clearly.

The line "Misery, fills the silence with serenity" is one of my personal favorites, I'm awfully proud of that one. The ending is simply beautiful.

I like the slide guitar, though my playing is sloppy. The tempo is laid back but emotional with an appealing, dreamy atmosphere. Structurally it's unusual as it never finds a chorus, or returns to the original verse, it's goes from one path to the next, to the next. The primary key shifting as well, from Em, to Bm to G. 

Lyrics
Misery doesn't know how beautiful she is
It's not rose blush and dim light, sweet talk or white wine
No words I can find, can offer sight to the blind
And that blithe innocence is beauty in itself

You won't give away, any secrets this day
And I can't take the strain, I can feel my strength wane
If we fell from grace, blundered into empty space
It's because we could only see, what the moment would bear

Misery, fills the silence with serenity
Misery, cannot see
She cannot see, the aching beauty


Black
Written on January 20, 2002, updated on August 9, 2009

Musically this one fought me, 7 years later I decided to wrap the words around Indian drums in hopes that might spark inspiration. Lyrically it was based on a poem by Sylvia Plath; the idea of opening and closing eyes, life and death. Only I reversed the idea, she wanted to keep her eyes open and see the beauty, in mine, I wanted to keep my eyes closed and escape the pain.

Lyrics
Close my eyes and the world fades to black
Lift my lids and it blooms back to life
Close my eyes and it can seem
Merrily, merrily, my suffering's all a dream
Fade into black, fade into black

Close my eyes and the pain fades to black
Lift my lids and it blooms back to life
Close my eyes and I disappear
I'm made of glass, I'm shiny and clear
Black, live in the black

I'm a ghost (I walk among men) unseen and numb
Naked in thorns, heart in chains, soul in barbed wire, my earthly remains
Shrouded in black... black... black

Close my eyes and the world fades to black
Lift my lids and resumes the attack
Close my eyes, I can swim in the black
Slippery and cold I might never come back
Fade into black, live in the black, live in the black


Ghost
Written on August 10, 2009

If Black draws from Plath, Ghost pulls straws from Dylan Thomas, the opening line is a nod to Love in the Asylum (A stranger has come, to share my room in the house not right in the head) and "The grievers grieve" comes from Ceremony After a Fire Raid. I also liked how the way he wove words - the colorful use of language that could bring images or feelings to life, and make them tangible. I wanted to bring that element, or at least attempt it.

Before that, I was scribbling nonsense on a paper plate and became frustrated with my feeble attempts to pen a song. This became my Nowhere Man so to speak, and in the morning, I wrote about the validity of my beliefs, how weightless my words were, how easy they crumble, and how ephemeral this life was. 

And that became the impetus, after that the lyrics came, as illustrative, personality snapshots rather than traditional narratives, each a reflection of myself (the baby, the judge, etc). The music cycles through the same chord structure, like a haunted mantra. The instrumentation was sparse, the voice, builds, though I lacked the range required. The recording's a bit rough around the edges, but that's par for the course.

Lyrics
There's a ghost in the room, there's a shadow on the wall 
There's a stranger in my bed, a sickly pallor on the pall

There are truths to garner, there's a truth to lay waste
Here lies skeletal unrest, a disturbing lack of scent of taste

There's a line struck through each word, there's a verdict handed down
There's a life sentence served, and a scream that leaves no sound

There's an apparition in the mirror, there's a lie hanging on my tongue...
masking itself as truth. A lack of presence in my lung

There's a man who has no bone, no fleshy sinew or meat
Who is stung by the barrenness, the stagnant vastness of deceit

There's an innocent in ashes, there a baby in the well
Who leaves black roses to mark the spot where dear Orpheus fell

As the griever grieves, he offers himself no reprieve.


Nashville
Written in February 2001, updated in 2009

This was a crap melody with solid lyrics. Even my wife at the time thought the chorus was corny. After several failed attempts to fix it, I stored it away where it was forgotten. While recording this CD I sat down with it again and played it as a ballad instead of a rocker and expunged the chorus entirely, making the last line in the first verse the chorus. This turned the entire piece around and I feel it's one of the strongest tracks on the disc. 

I do sing the wrong word again (night, instead of light). 82 to 24 refers to the interstate highways, leaving Yakima, and arriving at Nashville. The Dr. was a therapist I was seeing at the time for depression, and she gave me the push to make the move (the things I wanted I couldn't get in a small city). Working the 9 to 12 refers to the hours playing a gig

Lyrics
Tell the doctor I've packed my bags, I'm rolling out by Tuesday light
I've been underground and I've taken it as far as it will go
82 says she'll take me to 24
And I've never gone that far before
No, I've never gone that far before

Strap the 6 string across my shoulder
I walk in blind but never felt better
Tell the boss I gotta break off, I'm working the 9 to 12
Baptize me in this wall of sound, I'm standing on holy ground
And I've never gone that far before
No, I've never gone that far before

And when I tell you that I saved my life today
That's because I took a step to where the music always plays

Repeat first verse


Make Believe World
Written on August 8, 2008

The exact date I wrote this is unclear, but the original lyrics were scribbled on a copy of a report from my job, and that's the date on the paperwork. This was a pop tune I played around with and then set aside. I found it in a pile of paper and rescued it from oblivion. 

The backstory? I was having these vivid dreams of an idyllic life with the woman of my dreams, mostly mundane events, but so much happier than gray reality. It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode, "Willoughby" (which I name drop in an early number, Playing with Fire). I like the phrasing of the words; however, I didn't like how abruptly it ends in the recording.

Lyrics
I live in a world of my own creation
Forged in the heat of my imagination
You wear out rings and carry our child
There's a white picket fence, a dog and two cars

Most people find love interchangeable, lose one and merely plug in another
Most people go through people like candy, most people find a way to move on
But not me

I come home from work, and you greet me with a kiss
Though nothing here is real what could be better than this
I'd rather live in my make-believe word
Then spend an hour in the world as it is

'Cause all that I find there is loneliness
All that I find there is you without me


Jessie
Written on March 23, 2007

This is the first song I wrote after leaving the psychiatric hospital. I was a complete mess, shell shocked and thrown back into the world when I wasn't ready. The only sanctuary I had was music.

The original lyrics were a rambling novel. And while I went back and polished those up, I still felt it was too maudlin. I abandoned it and re-worked everything I had into the much more successful Working on Puzzles. I recorded this version for the CD because I thought there was enough decent there to warrant saving it. I'm glad I did because in hindsight in a solid number, I especially like the sad sounding "I don't know why" sections

Lyrics
It felt like a part of me had broken away
She came and taped up the pieces as best she could
And kept the nightmare from spilling inside
And I don't know why, I don't know why, I don't know why
She didn't even know me

I tried to hide the angry marks upon my wrists
I wanted to be left alone in my misery
She sat at my empty table
Smiled and said hello
And I don't know why, I don't know why, I don't know why
She didn't even know me

She was the quiet type, just like me
She kept to herself, usually
She who fought with her voices

Jessie lives in a world apart from mine
I don't know if I'll ever see her again
But I'll always remember her kindness in my darkest night
And I don't know why, I don't know why, I don't know why
She didn't even know me


Man of Steel
Written on August 3, 2009

The lyrics spell it out, I was bored, I was heartbroken, it was a boiling hot evening, too warm to fire up the stove, so instead of cooking a cake, I was lying on the floor eating frosting with my fingers and wondering what to do with myself... so I wrote about what I was doing at that very moment.

In the morning I composed a simple 3-chord melody around it, with a driving, distorted guitar, and bass. I played delay on the primary vocals, filtering them through "radio 3" (for that tinny sound - though in hindsight I should have gone with radio 1, as 3 is too muddy... muddy radio 3 was also heard in the next number, to its detriment).

Lyrics
I'm lying on the floor, it's dark
My clothes are wadded up in the corner
There's a can of strawberry frosting at my side
I lick my fingers clean as "El Dorado" plays on the TV
I'm not following the plot... I hear bullets scream
Bullets scream, bullets scream

I'm no laconic John Wayne, I'm no man of steel
Everything I feel I feel
I'm wallowing in it; I'm swallowing all of it
But if I get over her, she's gone

If I get over her, she's gone, if I get over her, she's gone, if I get over her, she's gone

I'm no man of steel, no man of steel


Somnambulant 
Written on August 8, 2009

I was in a creative rut, so I wrote about being in a rut (this reminds me of The Window) - After I wrote the music, it was apparent that the lyrics wouldn't fit, I couldn't squeeze them into the measures, so I had to split them in half. The last 2 lines in the 1st verse are actually connected to the first 2 lines in the 2nd verse (The idea: I go to the door, don't movie, life passes me by, and I feel regret).

I tried out several musical styles for this, even a reggae piece that never worked, so I scrubbed it all and went back to formula. I was shooting for Hendrix (but later noticed that the drum sounded like Zeppelin). I didn't use the bass as a lead, as I'd sometimes do, and went old school, following the drum to create a steady beat. Production was really muddy, unfortunately.

Lyrics
This was everything, and this was nothing

Through a window I see them pass by
All those pink faces, turning to the sky
I head to my door, but I don't have anywhere to go
Day turns to night, turns to morn...
Ahhh, ahhhh, ahhhh, I turn over to sleep

This was everything, and this was nothing

I gather together an armful of regret
And wonder why I never took a step
Insignificance on a rocket to the moon
I have no destination, but I'd like to get there soon
Ahhh, ahhhh, ahhhh, I turn over to sleep again


No comments:

Post a Comment

Track 24: Argle Bargle

A few random tracks recorded here and there, written between 1998 and 2010 - some are improvised, a few done on the quick, some created with...