Sunday, July 10, 2022

"Grace"

I don't talk about this project a lot - for one, I worry that my lyrics are too sanctimonious + performance-wise it was our first foray in a studio situation, and I was a bundle of nerves, uptight and conscious that time was money and I needed to get it right and get it right immediately. So, I'm either playing too fast, with too much energy, or playing and singing too sedately, in an effort to calm myself.

On the positives, there are some pretty melodies and harmonies + it's the only CD record of my brother and I singing and playing together. And that's a big deal for me. (and man, I wish you could have heard us cover "The Sound of Silence" it was killer, the harmonies so tight, a real crowd pleaser)

Recorded by Mike Bruce (who I knew from Ted Brown Music) at Grace Episcopal Church in Ellensburg, WA over the course of 2 nights. I used the Suzuki 3S on the first night and was not happy with the sound, it had no action, was hard to play (where you hear strings squeak, that's the Suzuki) it was a big guitar with a big sound that blew out the mics or overwhelmed my brothers playing. So, the next day I bought the Ovation that I use to this day. 

It was very simple, almost a live recording, with a max of 2 or 3 backing tracks. I drew and designed the cover art, I didn't understand 'full bleed', as the cross was supposed to go to the very end of the cover. I drew it with colored pencil and ink, to look a little like stained glass.

Special thanks to Central Lutheran, who allowed us to put on a concert and pre-sell the CD, which gave us the means to complete the project. Such beautiful people I knew there, such gracious hearts and souls.



Grace
Written by Shawn D in 1997

Pretty song, and when listening to it today, I am impressed with how beautifully the harmonies blend together. Troy was disciplined and exacting and musically, gentler. Which countered my impulsive, impatient emotional side. He kept things tight and professional, but it was a great mix and I wish we could have written and recorded in the studio more often. Nerves from this being the first time recording with an engineer, caused us to constantly mess up; and my guitar playing is too hyper at the start, a problem that would plague me throughout these sessions. Still, this short piece is the jewel of the collection

Lyrics
I don't know how you could have died for me
I can't say I'd have the courage to do the same
I've been trying, but I always fail
So, I've been crying, for grace to prevail

I don't know how to earn his favor
But he says be still, you have my love
He says be still, you have my love



The Stewardship Song
Written by Shawn D in November 1997

A preachy popper I wrote to promote a stewardship event at the Church. It lacks emotional punch, is too mannered, probably due to me trying to reign in my nerves and play and sing calmly and carefully. Troy did the lead spots and the tambourine.

Lyrics
There's no way, I can stand, carrying the world on my own
There's one way, I can stand, with Jesus I'm never alone

Freely you receive, so freely give (2x)

There's no way, I can stand, carrying the weight of the world on my own
There's one way, Jesus said, with my brothers and sisters I'm never alone

Freely you receive, so freely give (2x)

God has blessed us with many gifts, not to hoard but to share
God has blessed us, with many gifts, to use in Jesus name, with loving care

There's one way, Jesus said, share your gifts and your never alone, never alone



Bouquet
Written by Shawn D in 1998

Inspired by the writings of Francis De Sales. The guitar riff was sharp, I like the star-step sound of it, (something I'd later employ on Sap) - the twin guitars and harmonies make this one the better numbers on the CD. 

Lyrics
God knows and I can't hide, so it's with a humble a heart that I confide
Tried to cover up his eyes on the crucifix
But the wounds convicted me of all I've denied

Jesus holds out his pierced hands and says
This is the cost of love

Just as wherever birds fly, they encounter the air
So also, wherever we go, or wherever we are
We'll find God there

I carry this reminder in all I do and say
I carry this bouquet with me throughout the day
Oh yeah, I breath in your sweet love, I behold
The wonders of your creation and find comfort
Knowing you are there

Jesus stands at the narrow gate and says
Enter all who know my love
Jesus holds out his pierced hands and says
This is the cost of love, this is the cost of love
This is the cost of love



Bread and the Wine
Written by Shawn D in 1997

This is the number that got me writing again. My Church would have people share their talents during summer services, so I thought I'd write a song. The chord structure and lyrics are basic, it's a middle-of-the-road number, though my father loved it, and it did put me back on the songwriting saddle again. 

Lyrics
I felt Jesus with me, in the bread and the wine
I felt Jesus lift me high, in the bread and the wine
My heart soared with his love, soared so high
Then I remembered how he suffered, and it made me cry

I remember the scourging and the crown of thorns
I remember the cross he carried for my sings
And my broken heart, mourns

I felt myself remade anew, in the bread and the wine
I felt the weight of death lift off of me, in the bread and the wine
I'll do this in memory of my savior, I'll take the bread and the wine
I'll give him all the worship and praise he's due
And I'll never forget

I remember the betrayal hidden within a kiss
Denial spilling for Peter's lips
And I'll hold tightly onto the joy
When I remember how death could no conquer or destroy

Jesus is alive and with me, in the bread and the wine
My Holy Lord communes with me, in the bread, the wine



One Day
Written by Shawn D in 1998

It's kind of Buddy Holly on God. As with The Stewardship Song, it's far too mannered and cold for an upbeat pop song. I don't have any recollection about writing this, and while I like the way the lyrics are structured, I like the positivity of it, the lack of scolding, I'd rate this one of the weaker productions on the CD, I think we could have done better with it and injected more life and energy into it. 

Lyrics
Oh, one day I went looking for, I went looking for love
Oh one day I went looking for, I went looking for the truth

On that day all I saw was misery, I saw sadness and fears
On that day, all I saw were hungry people, buried beneath a stream of tears

On that day I had to wonder, what was going wrong
On that day I had to to turn to someone, and that someone...

Oh one day I went looking for, I went looking for you
Oh one day, I went looking for, with new eyes clear and true

On that day I saw people healing, on that day they were feeding the hungry
On that day I saw people building, all because of you

Oh one day I went looking out, that was the day it's true
On that day I found what I was looking for, and gave myself to you

On that day I discovered the, I discovered the truth
On that day I discovered that, Jesus Christ, was the truth



Free
Music by Troy D (1980), lyrics by Shawn D (1998)

Tambourine and maybe the shakers were played by Mike Bruce (on the liner notes I was credited with playing "pop-ware", which was just popcorn in a Tupperware container) - Many, many years ago, Troy wrote this dramatic, very cool musical piece that I knew I'd have to write l words for. When it came time to come up with tracks for the CD, Troy's music was one of the first things I latched on to - I wrote words and melody and it quickly vaulted into one of my favorite numbers. It was one an A&R guy at Nashville liked, not as a single but as an album song, he felt the imagery was strong, though he suggested coming up with a better word than "sore" (which I changed to sorrows)

Lyrics
Simply stated, I was welcome unabated
Though I wasn't dressed right for the celebration
Christ said I'll make you into a new creation

Simply stated, I was joyful and elated
I came filthy with sin thinking I'd never be welcome in
But Jesus held me tightly, and warmly in his arms
And said, I'll always be there to protect you from harm

I'll take you're scars and sorrows (sores) on me
I'll take your weakness and pain on me
I'll take it all and set you free
I'll die for you nailed upon a tree

I'll die for you (5x)
Nailed upon a tree
I'll die for you and make you free



Listen
Written by Shawn D on January 20, 1999

I do like this song, it's a pretty one. I think I was trying to tap into the finger picking style of the Beatles Norwegian Wood when I wrote it. But who was playing guitar, I wrote and was familiar with playing it, but aside from one brief squeak, it's pretty clean, which would indicate my brother was playing?

Lyrics
Quiet your restless stirrings, listen for the lord
Listen for the sounds of mercy as you kneel before the cross

Quiet labored breathing, stop and rest in God
Listen for the sounds of love that arose from the grave

In my walk with Jesus, I often try to lead the way
Seems I'm full of question but never stop to hear the answers, when I pray

Quiet worried thoughts, let go and trust in Christ
Listen to the sounds of hope singing from the heavenly throne  



Carbon Copy Life
Written by Shawn & Troy D in 1980, updated in 1998

Hoo boy - The production should have been punchier, I'd have loved to have recorded this with a full band (with timpani, it needed a timpani). The original lyrics are lost, but the idea is the same, "don't follow the fad". Which was great when I was a teenager, but as an adult I sound like a grumpy old man.  

I remember writing this in 1980 and Troy came in and added another guitar that blended perfectly with what I was playing. We really worked well together, and the tune became one of our standards. I just wish my Christan re-write was better. It's too judgmental, and there's a double standard, hey don't be like them over there, be like us over here.  The intent of the original was "think for yourself" and I'm not sure that translated well into a Jesus song. 

Lyrics
Get into step boy, think like the majority
Get into the swing of things, why not act like me

Hey kids! Get into the fad
If you don't, we can make you feel bad
Cause it's such a, such a, carbon copy life

Everyone's doing it, with just a pinch of regret
Why stand with God when you can be a marionette

Chorus

(They say) do what the world does, cause following Jesus is such a chore
That way's too narrow, and we have a wider door

Hey kids! Why don't you break out of those chains?
Trust the lie and nothing remains
Discover what's really the way the truth and the life
Cause all they can offer you, is a carbon copy life



And You
Written by Troy and Shawn D in 1980

Uh-oh, the squeaky guitar, means I was on the Suzuki, first day recording then. This was one of our early songs. I remember Troy had these lyrics written all over this piece of paper, crossways, upside down, in bits and pieces. He had the music for the verses done, but no chorus. Meanwhile, I had this chorus, without a verse. So, I took both of these ideas, puzzled together lines Troy had penned and stitched together a song. It's one we played live for years. 

This was the densest recording too, multiple tracks for twin guitars and Troy's lead spot. A track for our lead vocals, a track for our backing harmonies.

Lyrics
Some days, I remember, happenings from the past
And you are there more than anyone to last

And you can see, the feelings inside
And you would know that those feelings are something I couldn't hide

And you showed more love, than any could conceive
And that's why you mean more than anyone to me

And you shaped and showed me all I could be
And you brought out much more feeling, than I ever thought could break free

Oh-a-woe, and you

And you gave me purpose, something I needed every day
And you gave me light, that helped me find my way

Oh-a-woe, and you - And you



The Journey
Written by Shawn D in May 1998

I'm playing my part of the lead guitar piece too fast, which was causing Troy to follow suit ("he's going too fast, slow down, slow down", I can imagine him thinking), despite that, it's overall a good sound. 

Lyrics came after, I was focusing on the music, as that was becoming more important to me, I wanted to try and expand and challenge what I was doing musically. But the lyrics hold up well, there was a good symmetry to it, I've noticed this quality in several Jesus songs I wrote - afterwards, I tended to do these odd, rather surreal verbal snapshots (though Nashville did teach me the importance of storytelling). But at this stage, I found a motif to circle around and return to. It's nice.

Lyrics
I was once lost on my journey, wandered from place to place
Then I came upon a man who said take my hand
And I'll lead you to the heart of your yearning

And I don't know why, but I think that I'll try
To put myself in your hands
And I don't know why, but I think that I'll try
To live according to your plans

I was hungry so you gave me food to eat
I was naked and you gave me your cloak
I was blind then you touched my eyes
And my fears drifted softly like smoke

And now I know why, I must never deny
To put myself in your hands
And now I know why, and I know that I'll try
To live according to your plans

Then you turned to me and told me to feed your sheep
To share what you'd done for me, and help awaken a world, that was fast, asleep



Amber's Song
Written by Troy D in 1980

I couldn't write a song for our late sister; the emotions were too overwhelming. But Troy came up with this understated but beautiful song that quickly became one of my favorites. There are two versions of this, Troy has the other.  

Troy was front and center on this one, while I stood in the back, with my back to him, playing harmonica and singing my part, it was an effort to use the acoustics of the spacious Church to create this, echoey, ghostly sound.

Lyrics
And if someday you must leave us behind
We won't fear for you, we won't be blind
And if we were afraid to go on our way
We'll remember you and ease all our hurt this day

In these past few days, you have shown us love in your many ways
And you have grown up, past your simple age
But of all the things we have taught you
We have told you little, that you don't already know

So once again, we love you so
Little girl, we love you so

No comments:

Post a Comment

Track 24: Argle Bargle

A few random tracks recorded here and there, written between 1998 and 2010 - some are improvised, a few done on the quick, some created with...