Thursday, June 9, 2022

Intro and Index

Hi, 

This is the introduction where I share the whys and what for's of this musical blog and tell you a little about myself. 

First off, and this is pivotal, I'm getting along in years, and after a recent birthday, it struck me that the men in my family don't make it to their 70s. Now I'm not too alarmed by this, nor am I rushing about to compile and complete a bucket list, but it is sobering to know that if I follow this long family tradition, I'll only have a handful of years left to me.

Of late, I've been clearing out my clutter (so my family isn't stuck dealing with it), and I've learned it's pretty easy to get rid of "stuff", what's difficult is the "stuff" that's more personal. Like, my music.

All those tunes I spent a lifetime writing will fade to nothing. And maybe that's the way it should be, I'm no big deal in the grand scheme of things, I had a handful of successes and a whole lot of failures.  (In one dark moment I thought to myself, "maybe I'm the Ed Wood of rock and roll, all passion but no real talent).

So who's going to give a damn, especially once my immediate family has left this mortal coil? Part of me says "let it go" another says, preserve it, somehow, even if it does stink, save it, share it, write about it.

And so I am, and that's what this is. A fools game perhaps, a silly last grasp for immortality, but it will outlast me... at least until Blogger disappears.

It's a small record that says, "I was here, I did this thing". So for good or bad, here are my songs. 

Note: The header is the title of a tune by one of my musical mentors, John Lennon. (Other mentors include my Uncle's Craig and Steve, and folk stars, Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel)

Index:
Track 1: Collette, Miss Marvel, Sap, Elizabeth, Tom Stewart Killed Me
Track 2: Tracfone, Shell Beach, As Wonderful as You, Magic Things, Rock and Roll Chick
Track 3: "Delirium" pt 1: Penny's from Another Planet, Working on Puzzles, She Doesn't Like You, The Beginning of the End, I Stand Alone
* Track 4: "Delirium" pt 2: There's a Girl, Muse, The Last to Know, Sweet Madness, Seattle
* Track 5: "Not A Viable Commercial Product" - Monster, Allison's Dance, Gravity, Ophelia, Happy
* Track 6: King of Scorn, From Saturn with Love, Losing my Mind, Last Night, Last Night, You Said
* Track 7: Alibi, Broken Lullaby, I Lift the Skin of the Sea, Ophelia, Levin's Heart is Burning 
* Track 8: The Girl in the Hydroplane, Penny Dreadful, Katarina, Playing with Fire, Bite the Hand
* Track 9: This Clown's Parade, First Communion, The Hat I Bought You, The Road to Ruin, Drill a Hole in My Head, Bring Down the Heavens, Baby is the Bullet, Valentine, The Blood in Your Veins
* Track 10: Wendy, Sonja, Hearts Are Breaking, A Darkness More Than Night, Shane, My Heart; Song 64
* Track 11: Affliction (Your Master Plan), Don't Go, Shawn's Song, Heaven Help Me, You Gotta Way, Restless November
* Track 12: QUAKE! Supersonic, Righteous Holly, Dawn, Torch, Vertigo
* Track 13: My Sweet Collette, Collette of a 1,000 Regrets, Love as Sorrow, Magdalene, That Aint Me, When I Tell You That I Love You
* Track 14: Bleed, Bliss, Machine, Number the Tears, Red Hammer, Sweet Madness 1, The Existentialists Song, The Girl I Knew, Until I Bleed
* Track 15: The Window, I Haven't Slept in Days, the 275th Song I've Written You, The Wicked Things (Terrified), One Dark Night, Some People
* Track 16: Human, The Dream, It Never Occurred to Me, The Downward Spiral, Easier Said Than Done, You Gotta Hold On
* Track 17: Where You Goin' Raggedy Andy, Misery, Black, Ghost, Nashville, Make Believe World, Jessie, Man of Steel, Somnambulant
* Track 18: Are You Happier Now? Bad Penny, Happy Ever After, Honestly, Just Want to Play My Guitar, Moment of Truth, Elenore, Outsiders Like Me, Portland Nov 2007, The Persistence of Memory
* Track 19: When I Knew I Had You, One Drop of Blood, This Time, Steals the Breath, The Poet's Daughter, A Father's Song, ZAP! Around and Around, Unforgiven
* Track 20: Reality, A Million Miles Away, 2 AM Thursday, I Love You, Wish, The Island, Don't Be Scared, It's Cool, The Hero in Your Movie, A Handful of Rain
* Track 21: Diane Elliott, Everything Is... (I'll Never Be) Your Forever Man, Approach with Caution, Bethany, God's Mistake
Track 22: Gone to Gray, Gone, Gone, Gone; Rocket, Stanley Tweedle's Lament, It's as Simple as This, A Dream Deferred, What Makes it Better, Oh, Pepper; Marlon Brando, Symphonies to the Man in the Moon
* Track 23: Variants - I Hate Valentine's Day, Emily's Laughing, Penny's First Draft
* Track 24: Your Pretty Mouth, Monkeys in the Zoo, Leave Me Alone, Always There, Star Girl
 
This next group of pages is a look at the beginning and the end of my musical life.

* First Studio Recording: Grace, The Stewardship Song, Bouquet, Bread and the Wine, One Day, Free, Listen, Carbon Copy Life, And You, The Journey, Amber's Song
* First Songs 1978-79: And If I Should Be Alone, Kelly's Song, If We Try, All I Know, Babylon
* First Songs 1980: The Mutant Force, Lifeblood, The Night This Town Died, Rain, Dear Joan
* First Songs 1981-85: Modern Girl, My Heart Goes Out, Julie, Our Love, Angel, The "Marry Me" Song, I Only Want to Be with You
* Last Songs: April's Fool, Poisoned Friend, B.S. (Baby Suicide), Ophelia pt. 3, Baby What Is, A Love Song for Me Too, To Still the Beat of My Heart, I'm Not
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Track 24: Argle Bargle

A few random tracks recorded here and there, written between 1998 and 2010 - some are improvised, a few done on the quick, some created with...