Wednesday, July 13, 2022

The Embryo Files: 1980


This is the 2nd blog post dedicated to first songs - other surviving tunes from 1980 - out of the hundreds written during this early time period... Carbon Copy Life, And You (can be found on Grace), Sonja (on Wednesday's Child), One Dark Night (on Wednesday Again), and Atomic Man & Bullet Sweet (not recorded)

One lost number I recall, was "Cold Mush". Though I played it a lot back then, I have no idea what it sounded like, and the lyrics have long disappeared. But a dumb title like that, you don't forget.




The Mutant Force
Written in 1980, updated on May 11, 2009

I've lost the original lyrics - but I remembered the chorus and the basic idea of the song, which was inspired by the novel "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham, in which village children have to hide their mutations for fear of banishment, sterilization or death. I created Firefly, a woman whose eyes glow when she's happy, because I thought, "how you could conceal such a thing?" and how sad to have to hide your joy or love for fear of persecution. 

Terms? Force is not a military force, but a gathering of voices, a statement of empowerment. Though the novel offers a conflicting message of peace and force. I also like taking words used as insults and claiming them, making them yours as a positive (geek, freak, whatever)

I added multiple vocals at the end, later, after I had wrapped up and mixed it once - I used about 20 tracks for that. I played the opening chords high on the neck, the D for example, on the 10th fret, rather than the second, and didn't bar them, or use the bass notes.

Lyrics
Don't fret, my little firefly, don't hide your light, don't waste a sigh
The ones who hid are out tonight, so take wing firefly, join the fight
You're a freak, and that's okay, I'm a freak too, so let's go out and play

We are the mutant force, we are the mutant force
We are the mutant force, let truth, guide your course

This age of fear, this time of pretending
Celebrate the beginning, celebrate the ending
All the love I see in your glowing eyes, little firefly, don't you realize
You're a freak, and you're beautiful that way
And I'm a freak too, so let's go out and play

We are the mutant force, we are the mutant force
We are the mutant force, let truth, guide your course

Firefly don't be afraid anymore, not when they paint the scarlet letter on your door.
Don't you flee, be proud of what you see in the mirror, can it be any clearer

You are the mutant force, you are the mutant force
You are the mutant force, and let truth, guide your course




Lifeblood
Originally written in Dec 1980, updated August 12, 2009

I'd found the "Embro Files", my old song folder, in storage - most of the tunes were in a word, bad. But I managed to find a few worthy of a closer look. This one was labeled, "written in memory of John Lennon" and while the lyrics were pedestrian, the idea was sound. 

I changed the chorus completely and polished up the words... which gave me some pushback. I can get so gloomy and pessimistic, and this was about keeping your head up, holding on to hope and imagination - whenever I'd drift into the darkness I think, nope, steer it back, honor the memory.

Lyrics
Close your eyes and you can't see
All the wondrous possibility
And know that while you shed tears for yesterday
You became too preoccupied to see today

Because I'm as guilty when things go bad
And life has taken all I've had
It's all I can do not to quit  
And watch the world pass by where I sit

Belief and imagination
That's the spark that ignites the engine
Hope peace and love
That's the cup of my salvation

When you suffer the sting of loss
And life leaves you hanging on the cross
don't let your feet get tangled in what might have been
Let's sing about what can be   



The Night This Town Died
Originally written in 1980, updated August 12, 2009

Was it Martin Mull who did a bit about the last news broadcast? Some comedians' bit inspired this, I took that funny idea and ran with it. The updates cleaned up some of the trite rhymes, and were a little cleverer, the democrats now eat their own exhaust, rather than "pay the ultimate cost". I also added lines about hope being odorless and changed the knife at the end to a butter knife, it softens the violence (especially following the dark opening lines in that verse) and was more absurd and suitable to the tone of the track. 

One memory - we had a friend, Gene McDuffie, who thought this was pretty funny. He got a laugh out of the 'melting hair' line.

Lyrics
The end

Well, I heard it on the news at six
Everybody's fooled everyone with each other's tricks
In Washington, the republican's lost
The democrats ate their own exhaust
She then looks us in the eye and say's
Today at 4, everyone in the world was found dead

Ah ha ha ha ha ha

The weather today was mostly fair
It's 200 degrees it'll melt your hair
There's a hole in the ozone on the waterfront
And in sports, the Lions decided to punt
She then turns and straightens her dress
Says that science has proven that hope is odorless

Ah ha ha ha ha ha

And this town is on a roll, we never had this much fun
This town is a sewer hole, were all looking out for number one
Oh, woe, the night this town... oh woe, the night this town died

The Earth is moving closer to the sun
And today's good word is "get your gun"
'Cause an extra hole in the head's better than being fried
And there's no safe place for you to hide
She then smiles and pulls out a butter knife
Says it's better this way, cause this ain't no life

Ah ha ha ha ha ha

Chorus



Rain
Written by Troy & Shawn D

An early collaboration with my brother, who wrote the pretty music, which, with the harmonies, is the strength of the number. Did he contribute to the words, or are those all mine? (The lyric and tab sheet gave me sole credit on those). So yeah, it's pretty trite (crying in the rain, had been overdone), it also has no personal connection story wise on my end. Note: Troy had a nice, delicate lead spot he played, but I couldn't remember what it sounded like, though somewhere there must be a tape with it.

Lyrics
Cast me down before I fall, here my cries but do not call
I don't want to hurt you anymore

I've got lost feelings to discover, can't spend no time with my lover
I have tried to run when I could not walk

Please don't say hello or goodbye     
I know this love will never die
But it's time I leave before, I cause more pain
And I'll hide my tears in the rain

It's not something you have done to make me leave
Girl this you must believe, there are things I just don't understand

So I will leave but I'll return if the sorrow should start to burn
But for now, there are some things I must find


 
Dear Joan
Written in 1980

Just a light, empty piece, that puts a spin on the Dear John letter. It's catchy, I like listening to it even if it is just a trifle.

Lyrics
Where do I go dear, what can I say?
I know you find laughing at me brightens up your day

There's nobody here Joan, no gossip to share
You threw it all out the window, and there's no one around to care

What can we do about it, if fate played its hand?
You said you tasted all the world had to offer and still found it bland

What about true love, you said it played too rough
You said that you'd seen it all but what you'd seen ain't nearly enough

This isn't goodbye, Joan, only so long
I've run off with the milkmaid and I don't know how long I'll be gone

Yours truly John 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Track 24: Argle Bargle

A few random tracks recorded here and there, written between 1998 and 2010 - some are improvised, a few done on the quick, some created with...